Friday, September 09, 2005

The Chicago Bears Shufflin' Crew

The Chicago Bears Shufflin' Crew
"The Super Bowl Shuffle (Extended Vocal Mix)" from The Super Bowl Shuffle 12" (1985, Red Label Records)

Yeah, I went there. The football season just kicked off, it was only right to do a tribute!

Nearly 20 years ago the Chicago Bears put out Super Bowl Shuffle 45's, 12"s and cassette tapes to raise money for "Chicago's neediest families" and to celebrate their Super Bowl XX birth. The single reached as high as #41 on the Billboard charts, and garnered a Grammy nomination in 1986 for Best Rhythm & Blues Vocal Performance, Duo or Group. Not to mention it was certified gold by the RIAA within 3 months of its release.

The track features verses from (in order of appearance): running back Walter "Sweetness" Payton, wide receiver Willie Gault, linebacker Mike Singletary, quarterback Jim McMahon, linebacker Otis Wilson, backup quarterback Steve Fuller, cornerback Mike Richardson, defensive end Richard Dent, safety Gary Fencik, and last but certainly not least, defensive tackle (and occasional fullback) William "Refrigerator" Perry.

The Fridge brings the heat on this gem. Seriously, he can't be touched lyrically.

"You're lookin' at The Fridge, I'm the rookie,
I may be large, but I'm no dumb cookie,
You've seen me hit, you've seen me run,
When I kick and pass, we'll have more fun,
I can dance, you will see,
The others, they all learn from me,
I don't come here lookin' for trouble,
I just came here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle."

Head over to SuperBowlShuffle.net for your merch. You know you want a poster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home